Thursday, April 26, 2007

My Podcast




For my Podcast, I interviewed Nick Lyons, a fellow Interactive Multimedia major, about The Soul of Athens project and his opinions concerning the field of web design. For the most part, I enjoyed recording the interview. The only thing that annoyed me was that it took forever to find a “quiet study room” to use in the library and then when I finally did, the connecting room was filled with people who were watching a film of some kind and laughing very obnoxiously. This situation was, however, unique to me and I think I successfully worked my way around it during the editing process. Editing is my favorite part anyways.

Although I haven’t had much experience in Podcasts before this class, I am quickly realizing how important it can be to an individual or business. A business can stream monthly updates for stockholders or interested customers. Individuals can document their progress professionally or just as a means of keeping in touch with friends and family. I also see it useful when someone wants to hear the news but does not have the time to sit down and read a paper. Instead they download a Podcast and listen to it in between errands. The benefits range from professional to solely as entertainment purposes. However, during the editing process, I couldn't help but think of ways post-production can warp my message. I think listeners give a certain level of trust to the provider and if I wanted to be taken seriously, I shouldn't mess around with the audio in a way that would solely benefit me or my intentions.

I can see myself using this medium in the future. I can definitely see myself using it for entertainment purposes. If I choose to freelance or commercialize my talents I can create a Podcast for my portfolio site that lets potential customers know of any projects I might be working on currently or any new skills I’m developing. I enjoyed doing it so the possibilities seem endless.

No comments: